International border cooperation is one of the directions for the implementation of state border policy.
At present the role of the international cooperation for the Border Guard Troops of RA NSS increases in terms of current threats and challenges. The Border Guard Troops are directly contacting with border and other departments of foreign countries, international organizations – CIS, EU, UNO, OSCE, FROTEX, Eurasian Economic Union, IOM, etc. They take part in international development programs aimed at the protection and improvement of state border, strengthening fight against transnational crimes. The involvement of border troops in international programs promote the development of capabilities, the technical capacities, compliance with international standards, and consequently the enhancement of reliability of state border protection.
The cooperation of Border Guard Troops with border and other departments of foreign countries, as well as with international organizations, is carried out by the unit in charge for the international cooperation of Border Guard Troops.
The functions of the unit of foreign relations are the following:
● The provision and inclusion of information in the international cooperation activities of Border Guard Troops;
● The organization of borderline representational activity;
● The coordination of military-technical cooperation with border departments of foreign countries, as well as with international organizations;
● The legal analysis of international treaties and other legal instruments in border-related matters;
● The provision of protocol coverage for the activities of Border Guard Troops of the RA NSS;
● The press coverage of the activity of the RA NSS BT.
The international cooperation of Border Guard Troops of the RA NSS is carried out in terms of foreign policy and economic expediency, as provided by the legislation and international instruments with the view of balanced solution to the problems of ensuring the border security.